Thursday, June 1, 2017

Beijing - Day 2 (Part 1)






While the rest of the group were dashing about taking pictures from strategic spots, I approached Miss Cao, the Manchurian tour guide.

"May I take a look at your hand?" I asked, pointing at her hand.

"Yes, yes." she said as she extended them.

"A genealogy student once told me that one of the genetic traits of a Han Chinese is this line above the elbow. You said you were Manchurian. How is it that you have this distinct line here? (Members of the group who stood nearby helped in the above translation.)

She smiled. Withdrawing her hands, she explained that her ancestor was a Han Chinese who were given Manchurian status by the emperor back then for a service rendered to the dynasty.

At this point in the conversation, everyone in the group studied their hands intently. Madam Malindo extended hers to ask if she too, had the aforesaid line. (There were none.)

"My eyes are not too good today. Perhaps you could ask someone else."  I said as I circumvented the embarrassment of having to tell her that she could well be a tribal princess from the northern barbaric region.

Ms Cao took a quick look, pointed at somewhere near the fold and said that the line was right there.

"Are you sure you saw the line? Are you saying that I'm a Han Chinese?"

"Ya, ya ya"!"

"Gah! I'm not even a Han Chinese!"

Miss Cao scooted out of sight as Miss Malindo told me the history of her people.

"My ancestor left China a long time ago during the reign of the previous dynasty. They were cast out when the emperor extended his border. On his dying bed, my grandfather told us that we may settle in any part of the world except China. Our history, who we were, were hidden inside a locked chest. This chest was burned by my mother after the Japanese invasion. To this day, my mother was blamed for the loss of our identity."

The story intrigued me so we explored her option. She was not Han nor Manchurian. Judging by her love for mutton, she could be ~~~ gosh! Anything! I'm thinking ... physique wise, maybe Mongolian.


No comments:

Post a Comment