Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Green and Purple Soap

"Who could possibly have any use for a soap which stank to high Heaven, even if it's a lovely purple?" I thought mournfully as I looked at my red cabbage soap. A thought struck me. What if I first boiled the cabbage in some water, then use it to prepare the base? The soap probably wouldn't stink as much if the leafy cabbage is removed. I made a mental note to test this out in due course.
"Try red dragon fruit," suggested Hui. (not her real name.)

Dragon fruit (which I did not particularly like by the way) contained a rich red pigment which might turn purple. Who knows? Dehydrating a few slices took days and at the end of about 4 to 5 days, I realized that it wasn't going to get any drier.

It was kinda clumpy and impossible to grind into fine powder because the sticky parts were cohesive. Kinda. Is it due to the natural sugar contained therein?
Red dragon fruit

I added water to a pinch of ground powder and it turned a lovely shade of purple. Will you just look at that? I was ready for my Dragon Fruit Soap.

Yup! That's the one on the right. The blotches of purple are all that's left of the fruit. The purple blotches felt sticky to the touch. My immediate concern - Will the soap turn moldy?

Moringa / Dragon Fruit

But I was on a roll!
Pomelo

Pomelo / Charcoal
Kaffir lime

Kaffir Lime Leaves

Peppermint
Peppermint

Mulberry

Mulberry leaves / Food Coloring

No comments:

Post a Comment