Monday, May 11, 2015

Batik Cushions - Part 2

So I've been busy. It took me forever to finish coloring the ten batik pieces I bought back in ...  2014 ..... and - good heavens ..... has it been that long?
Soaked overnight in sodium silicate

Drip-drying
And that's the finished product(above). Dripped dry and stiff as a board. Next, they had to be washed in cold water to rinse off the silicate. The pieces went limp again as rightly they should. After this, they were soaked in hot boiling water to remove the wax.


I had lots of leftover colours so I melt me down some birthday candles, drew some lines (using a brush) on a cotton fabric, then went on a coloring spree.

They sold liquid wax applicators (without stoppers) at the Batik Natural Village but it wasn't something I could handle. We're talking hot liquid wax here. However, with the applicator, you could produce some pretty intricate designs. For the time being, I'll stick to boxes and straight lines.

Next, these pieces will be  sewn into cushion covers.




No comments:

Post a Comment